Wednesday, September 7, 2005

An Opportunity for Jews by Choice

“Handling New Baggage” a dialogue group for Jews by Choice for support, study and growth will have its first gathering on Friday, September 23, 2005 at 6:30pmas a Friday night dinner at the Panim Hadashot Beit Midrash.

This is an open house for people to get to know each other and to share in your experiences of being a Jew by Choice. Rabbi Dov Gartenberg will be our host for the dinner.

The group organizer, Dina Lewallen, is a lay volunteer who converted in 2003. She is interested in bringing together Jews by Choice in the Seattle area to explore the wide range of issues related to assimilation into Jewish life.

“I myself was born into an inter-faith family and converted in April of 2003. I greatly benefited from a Jews by Choice support group in Ann Arbor, MI, where I lived at the time. In my early experiences as a Jew, this group was critical in helping me achieve a sense of “belonging” in an environment that often felt intimidating. While I have successfully assimilated into the Jewish community, I still have my struggles. My intent in forming this group is to provide a supportive environment where Jews by Choice can explore these and other issues related to their assimilation into Jewish life.” - Dina Lewallen

Panim Hadashot is engaged in Jewish outreach throughout the community. One of our initiatives is to provide on-going support to Jews by Choice from all denominations. Those interested can RSVP at http://www.trumba.com/calendars/panimhadashot or email dina4panim@hotmail.com.

No comments: