Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Feeling the Dilemmas

The breaking news of kidnappings and Katushkas in the North has shaken a lot of people. A couple of the major newspapers (Maariv and Yediot Ahronot) had huge headlines with the word Milhamah-war. It is not war, but clearly a worsening of the security situation and Israel's leaders face very difficult dilemmas in their choice of response. I am watching TV like everyone else, so I do not have a close perspective on what is happening. I feel no direct threat to my security and it has been a very pleasant summer from the perspective of a visitor. But it is clear that Israel is entering a new period in which it faces difficult challenges of dealing with terrorist organizations who are taking advantage of weak or dysfunctional states with the aid of radical states such as Syria and Iran.

Israelis feel frustrated, but the country appears unified as it faces these new threats. The government is new and untested and people are waiting to see how it will respond. I would not be surprised to see a unity government. Meanwhile people live their lives for the most part and worry. They also know that the terrorist threats will not disappear and that the problems we see now will be with Israel for a long time. Unfortunately there does not appear to be a quick solution to the incidents we have seen in the last few weeks.

I am inserting a link to a piece by Ari Shavit which is the best thing I have read about the current situation. Link I think he is right that we are entering a new phase and the end of unilateralism.

No comments: