Wednesday, July 5, 2006

July 5, 2006 from Jerusalem

Introduction to the Enewsletter, July 5, 2006

(If you wish to receive the Panim Hadashot, weekly enewsletter, please go to http://www.panimhadashot.com/ and sign up on the email)

I will be spending 3 weeks in July at the Shalom Hartman Institute where I am a fellow in the Rabbinic Leadership Program (formerly known as the Center for Rabbinic Enrichment). I am entering the third year of this three year fellowship of advanced Jewish studies at the Institute which is a renowned center for Jewish learning and thought. This summer I will study with my cohort of thirty rabbis the theme of "Standing before God". We explore the teachings of tradition on how we relate to and communicate with God. We study the classic texts of Jewish tradition on prayer, faith, and commandment and relate them to Judaism in our times. What are the features of a Jewish spiritual life? How do we know when we stand before God, or when we stand at a distance? What are the compromises and limits of a spiritual life?

A day at Hartman consists of 6 to 8 hours of learning together and with outstanding teachers and colleagues. I draw from this remarkable learning to teach in Seattle and to expose my students to the great sacred and literary texts of Judaism. Please check out my blog for snippets of this this learning and insight from Jerusalem.

I am also thrilled that several people who participated in the Hartman long distance seminar in Seattle have come to Jerusalem to study in the lay leadership program. I have been joining them for their sessions and am thrilled that they have discovered the remarkable learning experience that the institute offers.

Panim Hadashot continues to gain attention in the Jewish world outside Seattle. I recommend that you read the most current issue of Sh'ma. This is a journal which is read by Jewish leaders and educators as well as many serious Jews about issues facing the Jewish people. The current issue is devoted to innovation in Jewish life. Follow this link. I have an article in the issue. I recommend that you read Shawn Landres' piece which looks at the landscape of Jewish innovation. Panim Hadashot is one of the leaders nationally.

Meanwhile, Panim Hadashot is busy planning for the upcoming 2006-7 year. Please continue to follow our newsletters as we announce the details of the High Holidays. I am pleased to announce that our unique High Holiday program has been underwritten in memory of Edwin L. Bierman. Marilyn Bierman continues to support Jewish learning and innovation in his memory. Her gift enables Panim Hadashot to offer an innovative approach to the High Holidays that provides a unique opportunity for people to seriously explore the meaning of Judaism and to experience it deeply in all its beauty, joy, and wisdom.

I hope to be writing daily in the rabbiblog at http://www.panimhadashot.com/ about my experiences here. Please visit there and I welcome your comments.

Shalom, Rabbi Dov Gartenberg
July 5, 2006; 9 Tammuz 5756

No comments: